(Comments)

North Korea’s Leader Kim Jong And US President Donald Trump's Talks Collapse After Both Failed To Reach An Agreement


The second summit between North Korea [DPRK] leader Kim Jong and the United States President Donald Trump was held at  Hanoi, Vietnam, on 28 Feb 2019. The two-day summit was cut short on Thursday, on 28th Feb 2019 without a signing ceremony and joint communique. 

In the summit this year President Trump, who returned to the White House Thursday night, informed that the talks collapsed because North  Korea's leader insisted that all the sanctions the US has imposed on Pyongyang be lifted without the North firmly committing to eliminate its nuclear arsenal. 

Ri Yong Ho, North Korea's foreign minister, in a news conference held in Hanoi, Vietnam, commented, which seemed to be in odds with what Mr Trump told reporters hours earlier.

Earlier, The president had said Mr Kim asked for the removal of all sanctions in exchange for closing the Yongbyon nuclear facility where North Korea enriches uranium.

Whereas North Korea challenged that account, insisting it had asked only partial sanctions relief in exchange for shutting down its main nuclear complex at Yongbyon.

"Mr Kim demanded only some sanctions were lifted in exchange for shutting its main nuclear complex," said Ri Yong Ho, North Korea's foreign minister, describing the proposal to close Yongbyon as the biggest denuclearisation measure they could take.

"In return, North Korea asked the US to lift five kinds of sanctions that are related to its civilian economy and public livelihoods," he further added. 

"Washington wasted an opportunity that 'may not come again'," Ri hinted adding that the North's position will not change even if the US offers to resume another round of dialogue.

Later Sarah Sanders, the White House press secretary told Trump chatted via phone with the leaders of South Korea and Japan and she also informed the US will continue to work with them and talk to North Korea. 

With no clear outcome of the summit, South Korea President Moon Jae said that he will continue working with Washington and Pyongyang to reach a decision.  

“My administration will closely communicate and cooperate with the US and North Korea so as to help their talks reach a complete settlement by any means,” he informed.

  As both countries were unable to reach an outcome other world powers expressed their concern on the failure of the submit. 

Amidst the speculations, Japan supported Trump from backing out from the summit. Japan’s  Prime Minister Shinzo Abe support towards Trump seems likely to be in accordance with the Japanese government. In return, Trump shot up the issue of past abductions of Japanese nationals by North Korea during his meeting with Kim.

"Japan is unwilling to solve its diplomatic ties or provide any economic support to North Korea until it provides the  information of all the (Japan)nationals who are abducted and  return the ones who are still alive," PM Abe said. 
 China suggested that both countries should meet each other halfway. Moscow spokesperson Dmitry Peskov suggested that the summit failed because both the countries were unwilling to compromise.  

Though a second submits seemed like a step forward, the unwillingness of both the countries to reach at a decision seems like a hindrance for future prospects. With Trump willing to take the talks forward, North Korea’s reservation about the issues might create a problem for both the countries in the days to come.

The first summit between the two leaders was held at Singapore last year, in that meeting they signed a joint statement, agreeing to security guarantees for North Korea, new peaceful relations, the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, recovery of soldiers remains, and follow-up negotiations between high-level officials.  And due to this reason, it was considered a landmark. 

Current rating: 5

Comments