New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced, on Monday, that new gun law reforms will be introduced in the country. This comes after the brutal and horrific attacks on two Mosques in Christchurch, last week.
“As a cabinet, we were absolutely unified and very clear. The terrorist attack in Christchurch on Friday 15, March 2019 was the worst act of terrorism on our shores. It has exposed a range of weaknesses in New Zealand’s gun laws. The clear lesson from history around the world is that, to make our community safe, the time to act is now,” the PM said during the announcement.
Adding further, mentioning about the reforms, PM Ardern said, “Within 10 days of this horrific act of terrorism, we will have announced reforms which will, I believe, make our community safer.”
The yet to be unveiled reforms may include restriction of military-style semiautomatic weapons, like the ones that were used in the recent attacks. The gunman killed 50 people, while around 40 were severely injured.
In general, New Zealand is mostly considered a safe place for people to live in. But the inhuman and gruesome gunfire in two Mosques has sent shockwaves across the country of around 4.5 million people.
After the attacks, many school students gathered for a candlelight vigil in Hagley Park, opposite the al-Noor Mosque, in which the gunman wreaked major havoc on innocent people. The students sang songs, performed haka in Maori, while they were joined by many other persons who had come to pay their respects to the victims who were killed.
Following the attacks, Australian police’s counter-terrorism team had also conducted raids over two homes—in towns of New South Wales—which were linked with Friday’s attacks in New Zealand.
The first raid was conducted at a home in the town of Sandy Beach near Coffs Harbour, while the next one was carried shortly after that, at a home in Lawrence, near Maclean.
"The primary aim of the activity is to formally obtain material that may assist New Zealand Police in their ongoing investigation," NSW Police and Australian Federal Police said in a joint statement.
On March 16th New Zealand PM Ardern wore a hijab and met the muslim communities to offered her condolenses to the families which lost their loved ones in the brutal mosque attacks in ChristChurch.Share on Twitter Share on Facebook