MCU’s latest and overall 21st entry has crossed the expectations with a record opening at the box-office. The Brie Larson movie grossed a mammoth $455 million worldwide in its opening weekend. With this, it has also become the 6th biggest movie globally of all time to rake in the moolah of all-time, when it comes to the collections in the first week.
The record for registering the highest ever global opening weekend in the history is of Avengers: Infinity War, with $640.5 million last year.
The excitement quotient is huge and something to be proud of, for Disney and Marvel Studios, and also for actress Brie Larson herself. It’s her best movie till date according to Hollywood sources.
The proud moment of joy is also doubled by Carol Danvers’ story attaining massive response across the U.S. box-office , earning a record $153 million domestically in its opening week. The movie has now become the highest grossing female-led superhero debut in the history. It went past DC’s Wonder Woman’s domestic opening of $103 million, back in 2017.
Here are the following feats that Captain Marvel achieved in its opening week, on the box-office, beating out its own fellow MCU flicks too in the crucial number game.
- Biggest female-led superhero opening of all-time, worldwide, with $455 million.
- Biggest female superhero opening of all-time, domestically, in the US, with $153 million.
- 2nd biggest solo-superhero non-sequel movie opening, domestically in the US, being only behind Black Panther ($202 million in 2018).
- 3rd biggest March opening of all-time, being only behind 2016’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($166 million) and 2017’s Beauty and the Beast ($174 million).
- 7th biggest MCU opening, domestically, being only behind 2013’s Iron Man 3 ($174 million), 2016’s Captain America: Civil War ($179 million), 2015’s Avengers: Age of Ultron ($191 million), 2018’s Black Panther ($202 million), 2012’s The Avengers ($207 million), and 2018’s Avengers: Infinity War ($258 million).
Captain Marvel also stars actor Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn as Skrulls’ leader Talos, along with actress Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau (Carol Danvers’ best friend and former Air Force pilot in the film).Share on Twitter Share on Facebook